Southern Cornbread Dressing with Chicken is a traditional staple in most Black American homes during the holidays and Sunday dinners. In my family, my mother and aunt make some of the best southern cornbread dressing.
After years of attempting to replicate the dish, I think I’ve come pretty close. To make a complete meal, try the following recipes:
- Crispy Southern Fried Chicken Wings
- Pork Chops with Cream of Mushroom Sauce
- Southern Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey
- Creamy Homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Southern Peach Cobbler with Peach Crown Royal
- 1 9 inch cast iron skillet
- 1 9x13 casserole dish
- 6 cups water
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 4 stalks sliced celery
- 1 medium onion (chopped large)
- 2 tbsp Lawry's Chicken and Poultry Rub Seasoning
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups Pearl Milling Company Buttermilk Corn Meal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 2 sticks salted butter (room temperature)
- 1 can Campbell's Cream of Celery
- 1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken with Herbs
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 3 tbsp ground sage
- 6 cups reserve chicken stock from above.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add 6 cups of water, chicken breasts, celery, onion, poultry seasoning, and minced garlic. Boil for 40 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add chicken breasts, and shred into large pieces.
- Reserve the chicken stock to use later in the assembly.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Add vegetable oil to a cast iron skillet and add to oven. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients (corn meal and sugar).
- Mix in buttermilk and eggs. Remove skillet from the oven and pour vegetable oil to the cornbread mixture.
- Pour mixture into the skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Set oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl add cornbread and break up into large pieces.
- Mix into the cornbread, butter, cream of celery and cream of chicken with herbs, bell pepper, onions, celery, and sage.
- Add chicken breasts and pour in 4 cups of chicken stock. Mix well into a thick by creamy consistency. If it's not loose enough, add 1-2 more cups of stock. This will keep it from being dry while baking.
- Pour cornbread mixture into a casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350°F for one hour.