Mac and cheese is my go-to meal for quick side dishes. It’s a holiday favorite with the family. You can’t have a barbeque or a Thanksgiving meal without it. While mac and cheese is supposed to be cheesy, it shouldn’t be that you’re eating all cheese. I’m not a fan of six to eight different cheeses in one meal. Having a couple is enough for me. It’s taken me a few years to get this recipe to where I can make it without looking at my own recipe cards. I hope you enjoy it!
Creamy Homemade Mac and Cheese
- casserole dish or cast-iron skillet
- 2 cups dried elbow macaroni
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated, do not use pre-shredded
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese grated, do not use pre-shredded
- 1 tsp salt add more for preferred taste
- 2 tsp black pepper add more for preferred taste
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease casserole or cast iron skillet with butter. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add dried pasta and cook for 7 minutes. Pasta should be al dente so that it's not completely cooked.
- Drain water and add macaroni in a large bowl.
- Grate both sharp and mild cheeses.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and add flour to make a roux.
- Once the roux is smooth whisk in the milk and heat on high until the milk begins to boil.
- Turn off the heat and add 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese and 1 cup of mild cheddar cheese to the milk and stir until smooth.
- Add salt, black pepper and cajun seasonings to the cheese mixture. Before proceeding to next steps, taste the cheese sauce for extra seasoning.
- In the large bowl, pour the cheese over the macaroni and mix well.
- Begin to add sour cream to macaroni and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk one large egg and add to the mac and cheese mixture.
- Next, pour the macaroni mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining mild cheddar on top of pasta.
- Optional, sprinkle paprika seasoning on top of pasta.
- Bake macaroni for 40 minutes or until cheese is bubbly or golden brown.