I used to be afraid to cook brussel sprouts, basically because I didn’t think I knew what to do. After watching a few videos on YouTube and reading other blog sites, I was able to make this dish with a breeze. Now brussel sprouts are one of my favorite veggies to cook as a quick side dish for the family.
Brussel Sprouts and Bacon
Keto-friendly and low-carb vegetable side dish.Print Pin
Servings: 4 people
- Non-stick skillet
- cookie sheet
- 1 lb brussel sprouts (halved)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter (salted)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp rosemary leaves
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder or 1/2 medium diced onion
- 5 slices applewood bacon (thick-cut)
- 2 tbsp garlic butter
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and add bacon
- Bake bacon in the oven at 370 degrees for 20 minutes or until done.
- While the bacon is in the oven start preparing the brussel sprouts.
- Take off the outer leaves, cut off the stem from the bottom of the brussel sprouts and slice the brussel sprouts in half. If they are miniature size, don’t slice and keep whole.
- Rinse the brussel sprouts with cold water.
- On medium heat, add olive oil to a large non-stick skillet; or you can use the bacon fat from the cooked bacon.
- Add the minced garlic and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the brussel sprouts to the skillet and stir to coat with the oil.
- Depending on your palette, add onion powder or diced onion.
- Stir in the remaining seasonings - rosemary, salt, and black pepper.
- Cover the skillet and cook the brussel sprouts, stirring occasionally, until tender for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the bacon from the oven.
- Dice the bacon and add to the brussel sprouts.
- Top brussel sprouts with garlic butter.