Fried green tomatoes are one of my favorite small plates meals. I’m the only one in the house that eats them, so I can have all the fried green tomatoes to myself! As a little girl, I learned how to make these from the babysitter’s grandson. He made it seem so easy and it truly is a quick meal. It may have been one of the first dishes I learned how to make. Or maybe that was grilled cheese!
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 cups Canola Oil add more if needed
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt (optional)
- Slice tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use three separate shallow bowls. In the first bowl add the corn meal. In the second bowl add the flour, cajun seasoning and pepper. In the third bowl add the 2 large eggs and milk and beat together.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet, enough to coat the bottom for frying.
- Dip the green tomato slices in the flour mixture, then the egg-milk mixture, and then the cornmeal. Add the tomatoes to the skillet with the heated oil.
- Fry the tomatoes for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Cook all the slices and drain the tomatoes on paper towels.
- If needed, sprinkle tomatoes with salt. (optional)