Fried green tomatoes are one of my favorite small plates meals. I’m the only one in the house that eats them, so I can have all the fried green tomatoes to myself! As a little girl, I learned how to make these from the babysitter’s grandson. He made it seem so easy and it truly is a quick meal. It may have been one of the first dishes I learned how to make. Or maybe that was grilled cheese!
- 2 cups Canola Oil add more if needed
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup flour
- cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt (optional)
- Slice tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use two separate shallow bowls. In the first bowl mix the corn meal and flour with black pepper. In the second bowl add whisk 2 large eggs and milk together.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet OR enough to coat the bottom for frying.
- Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes with cajun seasoning.
- Dip the green tomato slices in the egg batter, then dip into the corn meal - flour mixture. Add the tomatoes to the skillet with the heated oil.
- Fry the tomatoes for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side until golden brown.
- Cook all the slices and drain the tomatoes on paper towels.
Eat green tomatoes with hot sauce or remoulade sauce. Enjoy!