This classic chicken pot pie recipe is the ultimate comfort food. It’s simple to make for the family and perfect for the cold weather.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 9" cast iron skillet deep dish pie pan
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup Lawry's chicken and poultry rub seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 can Campbell's cream of chicken and mushroom
- 2 cups chicken broth (reserved)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 12 oz frozen carrots and peas
- 2 Pillsbury ready to bake pie crusts
- 1 large egg beaten
- parsley (optional)
- Add 8 cups of water to a large pot.
- Rinse chicken breasts and add to the pot and chicken and poultry rub seasoning. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 mins.
- Take breasts out of pot, add to a bowl and shred. Reserve the remaining chicken broth.
- On medium heat, in a saucepan add olive oil and minced garlic.
- One at a time whisk in flour, heavy cream, cream of chicken/mushroom soup, and reserved chicken broth.
- Whisk in seasonings: thyme, rosemary, salt, and black pepper.
- Stir in frozen carrots and peas.
- Using either a cast iron skillet or deep dish pie pan, spray with nonstick spray with flour. Roll out one pie crust and place at the bottom of pan. Scoop in chicken mixture. Roll out 2nd pie crust and place on top. Fold over bottom crust and crimp into place.
- Brush top crust with beaten egg. Sprinkle lightly with parsley, black pepper and salt.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 425°F. If necessary use a pie shield to keep the crust for browning to fast.
- To assist with slicing and serving, allow the pot pie to rest for 45 minutes. Trust me, it'll still be piping hot!