This two in one soup recipe is great for leftovers. Zuppa Toscana on day one. On Day Two add a little cream for potato soup.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground spicy Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 10 slices thick-cut bacon (diced)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp chicken bouillon
- 40 oz water
- 1 1/2 lbs sliced yellow potatoes
- 1 bunch kale (chopped)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet on medium-low, add diced bacon and cook until brown. Drain bacon and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or large pot, on medium-low, add ground Italian sausage, Italian seasonings and fennel seeds. Once browned, move Italian sausage into a bowl.
- In the dutch oven, add onion powder and minced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add flour, chicken bouillon and 40 oz of water. Bring to a boil. Next add sliced yellow potatoes. Cover and cook on medium-low for 30 minutes.
- Rinse kale and chop into bite-size pieces. Add to the dutch oven and cook for 12 minutes. Stir in Italian sausage, 1/2 of the bacon, and heavy whipping cream and cook for 10 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Add red pepper flakes (optional). While adding to a bowl, top soup with more bacon and fresh parsley.