This flavorful creamy white bean chicken chili recipe is great for cold weather and family game nights. To limit or increase the spice level, add jalapenos or your favorite hot peppers.
Creamy White Bean Chicken Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced (optional)
- 3 multi-color mini bell peppers (diced)
- 2 4.5 oz cans of green chilies
- 3 large chicken breasts cut into fourths
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder or 1/2 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 5 cups water
- 4 15.5 oz cans Bush's Best White Chili Beans / Great Northern Beans in Mild Sauce If using beans with mild sauce, do not drain.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- fresh chopped cilantro
- cheddar cheese, pepper jack, or chihuahua cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips (optional)
- In a large pot or dutch oven, over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Add minced garlic, jalapeño (optional), bell peppers and green chilis. Cook until soft for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse and cut up large chicken breasts into fourths. Add to the pot and stir in onion powder or diced onions, oregano, cumin, thyme, black pepper, and seasoning salt. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken base and 5 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer while covered for 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate, and shred, but leave big and bite-size chunks. Return chicken to the pot.
- Add chili beans. If using beans with mild sauce already added, do not drain.
- Simmer with top on for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add whipping cream and corn starch and mix. Stir into the chili and simmer (uncovered) for 10 minutes to thicken. Turn off heat.
- Using a ladle, add chili to a bowl and garnish with cilantro, cheese, and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips (optional)
- Add jalapeños with or without seeds for your own spice level