Black-Eyed Peas with Smoked Turkey
- 1 16 oz frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 smoked turkey wing or any smoked meat of your choice
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chicken base/bouillon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- In a large pot add 4 cups of chicken stock. Rinse and add smoked turkey wing or any smoked meat of your choice. Cover and cook over medium-heat for 1 hour.
- Add frozen black-eyed peas, onion, bell pepper, celery, minced garlic, chicken base, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and bay leaves and stir mixture.
- Pour in 2 cups of water, and replace cover on pot and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until black-eyed peas are tender. Remove bay leaves and add crushed red pepper flakes (optional).
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!